Monday, December 31, 2012

Looking back at 2012...

This year has been good to us! Looking back at pictures and status updates posted to Facebook made me realize a few things...I use the word "amazing" a lot (ok, maybe too much), both of my children had several "firsts" this year, and I have 100s of "friends" that are cheering on my family. Makes this Momma feel pretty awesome and loved to know that sharing the things that make me happy, no matter how big or small, is felt by others. Here are some of my favorites from the year...
Meet and Greet at the circus
Children's Theater Character Breakfast

Fishing

 first visit to the beach 
Counting Crows!
 Special Moms Social Group...these ladies "get it"
Welcome to the family Max!
Summer lunch dates with my favorite big kid

Our "babies" started Kindergarten
My big kid on his first day of school
Annual Girl's Weekend...Atlanta!
trick-or-treating TOGETHER for the first time
Miss South Carolina, Ali Rogers

2012 has also taught us many hard lessons. My Hubby and I realized that we have to be better partners, in order to be better parents. We realized that 10 years of marriage is worth all of the tears and hard conversations because our life is not about fun weekend getaways and romantic dinners (although we have managed to squeeze one or two of those in this year). 


I have grown so much as a mother and a woman this year. I started a new job where I can work while the kids are in school and help other families raising a child with special needs find the support and resources they need. I was able to share our journey with new moms and complete strangers and not fall apart. I have met new friends that understand how I'm feeling with out having to educate them on the situation first. My circle of friends dramatically changed this year. I have no idea how or why it happened, but the people closest to me will understand and those farthest from me will hopefully understand that right now I need friendships that are low maintenance. Not because I am lazy and don't want to work at being a good friend, but because I don't want to feel guilty for not calling or planning a get together or missing an important event. That may sound selfish, but it's true.

My life changed when I became a mother almost six years ago...my world changed when I became a mother to a child with special needs 2 years later. Every year gets a little easier to face new challenges and 2013 is sure to bring more challenges and even more blessings. Happy New Year to everyone...thanks for sharing this strange and wonderful journey with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment