Today started out like any other day. My Hubby yells at me from across the room that the next time the alarm goes off it will be "medicine time". I stumble out of bed and down the hall to the kitchen to prepare Sissy's 7:00 am meds, back down the hall to her room where I was greeted by her smiling face. Get Sissy ready for school, make and feed her breakfast, kiss my Hubby good bye as he leaves for work, and enjoy my Starbucks Frappuccino drink. Brother emerges from his room around 7:30, fully dressed and in a surprisingly good mood! I quickly get ready for the day and rush out the door.
I drop Sissy off at her classroom, 10 minutes late, and realize that I am now going to be late meeting my friend (20 minutes away). While I explain the change of plans to Brother, he asks if we are going to eat breakfast at a restaurant. GEEZ! I totally forgot to feed my child breakfast! Hot cakes from McDonald's makes him (and me) feel better plus he was able to play on the giant indoor playground. We had a nice visit with friends and headed back into town to pick up Sissy from school.
"Mommy, are we going to eat lunch in the car today?" Seriously, what is wrong with me! I run through the only fast food restaurant that is not McDonald's, Taco Bell. My poor child, good thing he thought it was cool. Pick up Sissy, on time, chat with her teacher about her day and head home. Usually when I pick Sissy up, she is not wearing her glasses because she has just gotten up from her nap. Her teacher always puts them in her book bag along with her shoes (Sissy refuses to keep them on her feet all day too). When we get home, I notice that her glasses were not in her book bag. And this is where I wrap up my "Mother of the Year" award today.
I immediately call the school and begin to tell the person that answers the phone what happened. "Who is you child's teacher?" she asks...now, maybe it's because I'm already feeling bad about forgetting to feed my son twice today, or maybe the 108 degree weather melted my brain, but I completely forgot Sissy's teacher's last name and of course there are two Kim's on staff. Really??? So after we figure out which room to call, no one answers and there is no one that can run down to the room...and that is when I snapped! I make a sarcastic comment about her "help" and hang up. My Hubby was home for lunch and volunteered to go back up to school (30 minutes across town) and pick up her glasses. By the time he got to school, they had found Sissy's glasses. my Hubby apologized to them for the misunderstanding (read: my wife is flippin' insane today, sorry!) and came back with Sissy's glasses before running back to work. I then realized I had also forgotten to pick up Sissy's medicine from the pharmacy and I had nothing to cook for dinner (don't worry, Brother did not eat out again, I made something out of practically nothing). Sigh...
Why is it that some days that are much, much harder than today are easier for me to handle? Today was really not that bad. Everyone is healthy, the kids had a great day despite my craziness, and we ate dinner together as a family tonight (something we do not always get to do). Most days I surprise myself with everything I am able to accomplish gracefully. Today was just not one of those days. I am so worried about keeping it all together, that the minute something goes wrong, I immediately feel like I didn't do something right. I'm afraid to fail, and maybe it's that fear that makes it easy for me to crack when the smallest thing does not go my way. I pray tomorrow will be better. At the very least I will remember to make both of my children breakfast!
For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:
Post a Comment