Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Community

Community (n): a group of people with a common background or with shared interests within society.
Over the last couple weeks, my Hubby and I have discussed a lot of "official" business concerning Sissy. For the first time since all of the therapies, specialists, and hospital stays started I didn't know who to talk to. My best friends are very supportive and are great listeners, but I needed actual facts and reviews concerning some special needs products that we are considering for Sissy. So, I turned to my online friends, my Moms in Common, Mommies of Miracles, and Facebook friends. I posted a couple questions on a few walls and with in an hour I received several bits of very helpful advice! Most included personal reviews and links to even more helpful information.

So, we made an informed decision about Sissy's new Pediatric Special Needs Stroller (we ordered one in pink, thanks Chontee!) and we are exploring options for Chewy Tubes to replace Sissy's paci. Most of the advice I was given was from complete strangers. Moms, Dads, Caregivers to children and young adults that have the answers to my questions because they have already been where I am today. Say what you want to about social media...but I am a HUGE fan!

Here are some of my favorite websites, Facebook pages, and blogs that I go to for advice. In no particular order:

Love that Max Ellen uses humor, honesty, and compassion to explain all of the wonderful and challenging moments we as parents to children with special needs encounter.

Uncommon Sense Dana has a great tab on her blog entitled "Things I've Tried (that you can try, too)" which I have gotten a couple great ideas from. She is also the author of "Amsterdam International" which is a great response to "Welcome to Holland"

Mommies of Miracles is my favorite Facebook page! I have "met" some great friends (thanks, Tiffany!) through this page and have gotten lots of helpful advice and encouragement by simply posting on the wall.

Beyond Play I love getting birthday, Christmas, just because gift ideas for Sissy here.

Journey of the Bees Another FB friend, and we share the same love of Mary Kay Ash's quote. Alicia founded The Brayden Alexander Global Foundation for Hydranencephaly in honor of her son Brayden. If you want to see what advocating for your child is all about, visit the foundation's blog and take notes! I have!

Chromosome Disorder Outreach, Inc. Another great source if your child has a rare chromosome disorder. When you register, they will connect you with other families with exactly the same disorder. We have met 2 other families online through CDO. There were only 3 of us on the list :)

Where do you go when you need advice or just need to know that you are not alone???








No comments:

Post a Comment