Monday, November 22, 2010

Back to "Familiar"

I've been waiting for life to go back to normal after last week, and just remembered I have no idea what "normal" means anymore...the last five days have been a blur, but things are starting to look, let's say "familiar" again.

Sister was admitted to The Children's Hospital last Wednesday after having several absence seizures. She typically has complex partial seizures, so I almost didn't recognize them. They started when we were at PT that morning and she became unresponsive (but still breathing) on our way home. I turned around and took her straight to the ER. Her neurologist decided to admit her so they could perform a 24-hour EEG to see if anything had changed. Sister slept most of the first day and surprisingly slept all night (7:30p-5:30a). She woke up mad, ready to play and wanted to take the head wrap off! The EEG showed that there were no changes from her previous ones (this was her 4th), and her team of doctors decided that she was ok to go home. We need to follow up with her pediatrician this week and her neurologist next week.


I try very hard to keep Brother's daily routine the same when Sister is not doing well, but sometimes it is just not possible. Since Sister was admitted to the hospital while Brother was still in school, Hubby picked him up and brought him over to my friend's house to play with her kids (she is an amazing friend!) We decided it would be best for Brother stay at my parent's house that night and skip school the next day (again, not something I would normally like to do) and have a fun day with my mom (I've already said how amazing she is, but I'll say it again!)Brother had so much fun, but he is a smart kid and knew something was up. I didn't want him to see Sister with her head wrapped and he was upset that he couldn't check in on her before going to my parent's for the night. It broke my heart to see him crying, but even I had a hard time seeing her that way. I convinced him that she would be ok, and that he could call her later and tell her good night. I hope they always love each other this much.


So, to say that things are "familiar" again would mean that we still don't know how often or how severe Sister's seizures will be. For someone who hates surprises and would plan every minute of her life if she could, this has been a big adjustment for me. In a way, I am grateful for the gift of the unknown because it means that anything is possible. However, I also have no idea how to prepare myself and my family for what may happen next. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5,6)

No comments:

Post a Comment